Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Profile of Recovery: Angel's Story


Angel grew up in a military family and moved around a lot.  He was very active as a child and was given marijuana by a family member at an early age to counter his hyperactivity.  At age 15 he became a ward of the state in New Jersey and went through the foster care and youth program system.  In addition to marijuana, he started drinking hard liquor and smoking and snorting cocaine – he tried lots of drugs at least once.
By age of 18, there was a pattern of being in and out of jail.  However, when a relationship shifted and his kids were moved away, Angel found himself back on the streets and made a move to Kentucky.  He always stayed clean while on probation but went back to his drug usage as soon as the probation was over.  Several people encouraged him to come to The Healing Place.  “I came for a place to stay during the cold weather – never intending to stay,” says Angel.
I didn’t come to stay … but I couldn’t leave.
Several people encouraged him to come to The Healing Place.  “I came for a place to stay during the cold weather – never intending to stay.  I was fighting myself but I was getting cleaner each day and I didn’t want to go back to the way I was,” says Angel.  “I finally admitted I was an alcoholic and an addict – and I wanted more.   I was ready to learn.  I was ready for something different. I was ready to work for it. ”
Angel is transitioning out of the program to a new future.  He is considering going to school to work with children who have issue before they move to alcohol and drugs to cope because he can see the possibilities of impacting other families.
 “Before I was ready to do some ‘crazy stuff’ but now I can see something more,” says Angel. “I see miracles daily of those who are sober.  They show me it is possible.  They show me that it works.”
He adds, “My encouragement is to ‘Just stay’ and you will find yourself.  If you are tired of what it was, then just STAY.”